Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pantene Truly Natural Review


The new Pantene Pro-V Truly Relaxed and Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural collections feature ingredients specially chosen for your unique hair needs. Whether you rock a relaxed 'do or a natural look, you can plan on a great hair day. Thanks to Pantene for sponsoring this post!



Look at the wonderful goodies that I received from Pantene.  
I received the following products from the Pantene Truly Natural Hair line:
Clarifying Shampoo
Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner
Deep Conditioner
Defining Curls Styling Custard
Shine Serum with Argan Oil

I was so excited to try this line after hearing so many good things, especially about the Co-Wash.

Let's start by introducing the products and their ingredients. 

Clarifying Shampoo

Claim: Gently cleanses to remove build-up on natural hair.  Paraben and dye free.
Ingredients: Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Distearate, Laureth-4, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-6, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinon
Pros: Price $4.99
Cons:Contains sulfates.  I don't use sulfates in my hair. But this will be good to have around when I need a good clarifying to remove lots of buildup.

Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner
Claim:Instantly moisturizes without stripping natural hair
Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.
Pros: PriceThe alcohols in this product are 'good' alcohols. Price $4.99
Cons: Contains Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone which is not water soluble.

Deep Conditioner
Claim: Helps restore moisture while detangling natural hair
Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
Pros: The alcohols in this product are 'good' alcohols
Cons: Again, silicones

Defining Curls Styling Custard
Claim: Defines natural curls and adds shine
Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Sorbitol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, Va/Crotonates Copolymer, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil.
Pros: Contains castor oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil. Very fragrant.
Cons: The good ingredients (jojoba and coconut oil) are the last ingredients and silicones


Let's get down to business.
I normally don't use silicones or sulfates in my hair since I started the curly girl method in July of 2012.  However, prior to starting the method, I didn't have any problems with my hair as a result of using silicones and sulfates which were in pretty much every product I had ever used.  I never paid attention to product labels.  Like I mentioned above, I was so excited to try the products due to the positive reviews I saw on Facebook and Instagram.  

I washed my hair with the Co-wash, applied the deep conditioner, then used the styling custard. 
(I did not use the shampoo and the serum)

I did not apply a leave in because I wanted to see how the custard worked on its own.  I didn't want the possibility that it wouldn't mix well with other products and have that taint my view of the product. 

Here are some pics of my hair


Cleansed with co wash and deep conditioner has been applied to each section

 Look at my curls once the custard was applied


Applying the custard in sections

Gave myself a pony since it is hot here in South Texas 


 Curls, Curls, Curls, Curls. Curls I do adore!!!

Smooth and shiny 



My thoughts
The co-wash was AMAZING. It had tons of slip.  Detangling took less than half the time it normally does.  Plus there was hardly any hair in the comb.  It smelled great, too!!!
The deep conditioner also smelled great and had ls of slip. I let it sit overnight.  I rinsed and then applied the custard to soaking wet hair.  The custard gave shine and hold and it smelled great as well.  

I would be SO IN LOVE with this product if it were not for two things:  SILICONES AND SULFATES.  I didn't use the clarifying shampoo because I didn't need clarifying at the time and because I use sulfate free shampoos.  The co-wash was AMAZING and I wish it had no silicones because it would be my go to. It cleaned my hair great. I had tons of gel in my hair when I used the co-wash. It cleaned my hair without stripping.  The deep conditioner shares the same sentiments as the co-wash. The smell was great and I would also make it a go to if it weren't for the silicones.
The custard was similar to most custards I have used, but with less mess. It was a thicker consistency and it gave my hair lots of shine and it defined my curls. So basically it did what it said. I love a product that can back up its promises.   

I think that anyone who is NOT following the Curly Girl method will DEFINITELY love this line of hair care products. I would love to make the suggestion to Pantene that they also make a silicone and sulfate free version and I would surely be one of the first in line to buy!!!!

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective, and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

2 comments:

  1. I will be adding these to my shopping list! Not interested in the shampoo or serum. Looking forward to great results as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, Thanks for commenting. I will be doing a giveaway of these items, Be sure to check back.

      Delete