Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Now Featuring Donni


Today we are featuring Donni.  She happens to be the sister of my best friend Dwayne.  She is a graduate of Xavier University.  She has a fly sense of style.  I have been secretly stalking her FB page admiring her hair and how pretty she is for a while now.  I am so glad she agreed to tell her story.  I hope you enjoy.  I know I did!!!  


Name and where are you from
My name is Donnisha Hebert and I am from New Orleans, Louisiana.

When did you go natural?
I went natural in the spring of 2009; it was my second semester as a freshman in college.

What prompted you to go natural?
Honestly, I went natural for a combination of reasons. I got my first sew in ever when I first got to college! It was so cute and it lasted a really long time. Welp, upon me taking it out, I made the mistake of not combing my braids out before washing it –thus creating a bird’s nest of tangles in my head! Of course I became frustrated but I patiently combed my knots out. Days later it was time for my relaxer and because I was a stereotypical college freshman aka “broker than a joke”, I didn’t have enough funds to get my hair done so, light bulb laminated in my head and from that point forward, I decided that I would never perm my hair again because it was an unnecessary expense. So yes, initially, it was definitely a matter of frustration and cost.




Did you big chop? Why or why not?
Yes, I did do a chop but I transitioned for a bit, up until my natural hair was about 2.5 inches. It was a spontaneous decision. I was home one day relaxing before work and I just began playing with my hair. I began twisting it and curiosity took over. I remember the feeling of wanting to twist my mane and see it stay on its own, no bobby pins, no rollers, nothing! So, I randomly picked up my sheers, began cutting, and the rest is history! After I finished, I did my very first set of mini twists using my own hair and I fell in love with myself! I loved my new short look because it was fresh and funky! It was also the first time in my life that the mental idea of me and my physical self aligned with one another. It felt as if it was as if I was seeing my truest self for the first time ever! It was a surreal moment, honestly.

What is your regimen?
My regimen has simplified tremendously! I was a product junkie who’d tried and tested most products under the sun, but now I have found my staple products! For a simple cleanse I actually use Lush Cosmetic’s Trichomania, which is a coconut oil based solid shampoo. I just started using this product because I am obsessed with Lush BUT I have to say that this product is truly AWESOME! It smells delicious and does some mega moisturizing!!
Anytime my hair and scalp need TLC, I do a Bentonite clay treatment in which I add lavender, tea tree, and rosemary essential oil to Bentonite Clay along with coconut oil, honey, conditioner and apple cider vinegar. This combo is great for my hair and my scalp because the texture of the clay gives me a nice scrub, the oils give great moisture as well as nice coil definition.
After any cleanse, I follow up with a simple conditioner like Natures Gate’s Jojoba Conditioner or Nubian Heritage’s EVOO & Moringa Repair and Extend Conditioner and my hair feels great!
As far as styling, I usually wear my hair in a twist out and when I’m feeling cute, I use a Oyin Handmade's Shine and Define as well as their Whipped Pudding. Otherwise, which is most of the time, I just twist with coconut oil and water! It gives my hair nice shine and moisture without weighing it down or adding a lot of build up from layers and layers of products.
That's pretty much it.

Favorite products?
Coconut oil—LOOVE!!
Lush's Trichomania
Nubian Heritage’s EVOO & Moringa Repair and Extend Conditioner which I LOVE even more because I saw it on sale for 3 bucks and I couldn’t pass it up—turns out the product is great for my hair!
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Oyin’s Shine and Define & Whipped Pudding

What is your favorite thing about being natural?
Like I said before, the moment when I chopped my straight ends off I felt more in touch with myself, which may sound cliché but it’s the truth. My favorite thing about being natural is being comfortable and confident in my own skin and own hair no matter what it looks like—I love it all!





Who is your celebrity hair crush? Why
Solange because her hair is snatched all day every day! I especially love her because of her sew ins, wigs, etc. they really look great!

Who is your regular hair crush?
Umm, myself? Just playing, it’s this woman I follow on Instagram. Her name is EClark6, she is at my hair length goal. Once I reach her length, I will wear my hair out for a couple years and then loc it on up! I love her hair. 

Where can we find you on social media?
You can find me on Facebook at Donni Ollie, on Twitter at ZonZivaaa or on Tumblr at nabear.tumblr.com !
Also, I love giving suggestions about hair care and I do make some of my own products! If you all have any questions, please feel free to send me a message on Facebook or Twitter!



Thanks so much Donni for sharing with us.  Love it!!!! ;)


If YOU want to be featured on this blog send an email to crystalscurls@gmail.com and answer the above questions. Don't forget the pictures!!!!!

Be Blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment