Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Now Featuring Debrina

I am soooooo excited to share this post with you guys. 







This woman right here!!!!!






  


This woman is my FRIEND!! 


A REAL FRIEND Y'ALL!!!!!!  



We met in college and she has been in my heart ever since!!!
This woman was with me when I cut the remaining relaxer out of my hair.  
So she is important in my journey.  This woman is a FASHION ICON.  
She is beautiful, smart, sassy, and classy.  She is a mother of 3 (including a newborn) and a wife. This is one of the women I have been waiting to feature and I am so happy to introduce you to my friend.  



Without further ado...
Introducing Debrina!!!!!


Name and where are you from?  
Hello!  My name is Debrina and I am from Louisiana; however, I live in the DC area.

When did you go natural? 
I went natural on April 20, 2012



What prompted you to go natural? 
From the first moment I got a relaxer I hated the process.  I loved the results (I thought) but I dreaded the process.  My scalp would be on fire EVERY time my hair and the perm reunited.  Regardless of how much I avoided irritating my scalp the days leading up to I would burn!!!  
My mother use to tell me that she would never pay for me to get a relaxer in a salon because I couldn't endure the pain long enough to get it "worked in".  
I was inspired by so many people and things... from my daughters, my mother, friends, associates, people I met on the streets and even the movie "Good Hair"!  
I had many failed attempts that begin in 2005.  It was not until 2011 that I took an assignment to work in DC  that concluded my final attempt.  I stepped foot in a hair salon hoping for a fried, dyed and laid to the side style only to be faced with "healthy" hair options, the salon encouraged going natural.  




Did you big chop? Why or why not?  
I did the big chop because of so many failed attempts transitioning.  During my journey of transitioning I put so much heat in my hair until it begin breaking off where the kinks met the relaxed ends.It was not what I initially hoped for when I walked in but that visit changed my life forever.  After my experience (from last question) I flew to my home state, Louisiana, and immediately asked my stylist to cut all of my freshly relaxed hair!  Shocked, but she followed through and I headed back to DC with an inch of hair!








What is your regimen?  
I'm lazy and busy so I love the easiness of a wash and go BUT everyone who knows of me knows I love change!  I try a new style every two to three weeks.  As far as product, I have tried a little of everything but my favorite products are Direct Leave In conditioner by Giovanni, Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner and Argan or Coconut Oil!  For my twists and braid outs, I use ORS pudding!  It works wonders on my hair.  I  shampoo once every three weeks and co-wash every week.  I co-wash with Trader Joe's conditioner and shampoo with Jason's natural lavender shampoo or Miss Jessie's Crème de la Curl cleanser.


What is your favorite thing about being natural?  
I love the versatility of my hair in its natural state.  I am in love with my naturally curly 'fro that's achieved with a wash and go but I enjoy the vast amount of styles I can achieve with plaits/twists/bantu knots and a day or two of allowing my hair to air dry.




Who is your celebrity hair crush? Why?  
My celebrity hair crush is Melinda Williams.   Yes, Bird from Soul Food!  Although, she is no longer natural her TWA was gorgeous!   I also adore Tracy Ellis Ross' luxurious locs! I am a true fan of BIG hair!




Who is your regular hair crush? 
I crush on all healthy natural hair!  My head literally turns every time I see a confident and stylish queen rocking her beautiful kinky coily hair.  In DC, I am amazed at the creativity and the beauty of our hair (from all types and textures).  As a result of what I witness daily, I am puzzled when I am told, "your hair is beautiful but NATURAL HAIR is not for everyone".




Social networks
Instagram @lagniappelabeaute 

No comments:

Post a Comment