Saturday, July 21, 2012

Now Featuring Michelle

Starting today Crystal's Curls will feature curly women who want to share their journey with you. I want to showcase real women who are inspiring. The first feature is from Michelle S. from Texas.  Michelle is a talented singer who uses her gifts to sing for our Lord. In addition, she creates beautiful bows from her store called Ubowgrl.  Here is her Facebook page showcasing her lovely hair accessories.  Enjoy her story.

Beautiful Michelle





When did you go natural?
My natural journey began December 31, 2008. This was the day before my wedding and it was the day that I did my last relaxer.

What prompted you to go natural?
I always wanted to go natural. I just didn't have the support from my family that I personally felt that I needed to go through that kind of change. When I met my hubby (then fiance) he and I talked about it candidly. I was surprised but he was in complete support of the idea. He loved the look and understood that the transition wouldn't be easy. His support made me comfortable enough to finally go for it.

Did you big chop? Why or why not?
Yes, I did the chop. I transitioned for eight months before giving into the frustration of dealing with multiple textures. In August 2009 I cut only the remaining relaxed ends (about 4.5-5 in.) For me it was bitter sweet because I was in TOTAL shock since I'd never had short hair before (yep... I cried heheee) but I was excited about the potential of those tiny curls I could finally see. 

What is your regimen?
I don't really have a daily regimen, unless you count applying and removing a satin cap hehe #lazy don't judge me :0). To style I spritz with water and leave in to revive my curls if I'm not rocking my go to twist out. I usually wash my hair once a week and dc bi- weekly. I ALWAYS seal in moisture (water, leave in) by applying an oil or butter right after its application. This changed the over all health of my hair dramatically with in days of me adding it to my regimen. 

What is your favorite thing about being natural?
I had never felt so comfortable being me until I went natural. I LOVE my hair! My fav thing about this life is my individuality.

Who is your celebrity hair crush? Why?
Tracee Ellis Ross. The way that she wore her hair on the show girlfriends was inspiration enough for me. #GORGEOUS 

Who is your regular hair crush?
If by "regular hair crush" you mean non celeb I would say I have two. Ameka and Ebony are both beautiful naturals I met in the fb group #TeamNatural. These two ladies are my "regular hair crushes" because of their ability to remain versatile with styling their hair without compromising its health. #Inspired


Thanks Michelle for sharing your story with us.

*If you would like to have your picture and story featured on Crystal's Curls please send your story (answer the questions above) and include your picture and email it to crystalscurls@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment