Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The "Joy" of Being Natural

One of my best friends called me and asked me what to do because her hair was so dry.  So this post is for her.  But, of course, if any of you are also having issues with dryness as well, I wanted to share a few of my thoughts about this with you, too!!

Since I have started the CG method in July 2012 my hair is so much happier.  My hair is no longer dry and frizzy and here is why:

1.  I avoid shampoo with sulfates
You don’t want sulfates in your shampoo or conditioner. Sulfates strips your hair of its natural oils.  
*If you are using sulfate shampoo, that may be the culprit; so start here*

2. I avoid silicones
Silicones coat the strands of your hair, making it feel soft and silky for a little while. Since it is coating the hair, the moisture is kept out and makes your hair dry and frizzy. This would require you to then repeat the cycle of washing with more sulfate shampoo. The cycle continues.
*Not all silicones are bad. (We will revisit this later)*

3. I moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
When I do wash (with shampoo) it is with sulfate free moisturizing shampoo
I mainly co-wash with a silicone free moisturizing conditioner 
I apply a leave in conditioner (more moisture)
I deep condition once a week


(I don't use oils {due to having very oily skin} but you can add oils if you choose to do so.)
Some good oils are coconut oil, jojoba oil and avocado oil


My favorites:
Cleansing:
Mixed Chicks Sulfate Free Shampoo
Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo
L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
As I Am Coconut Conditioning Cowash
Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo

Detangling:
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Tresemme Naturals Conditioner

Leave In Conditioner:
Kinky Curly Knot Today 
Paul Mitchell The Conditioner

Deep Conditioner: (some do this once a month, I do this once a week)
Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose
Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
L'Oreal EverCreme Intense Nourishing Conditioner

Stylers:
As far as stylers go, you can use whatever gel or styler you like best and that plays well with your choice of leave in.  I prefer EcoStyler.  I do use Kinky curly Curling Custard as well but not everyday.
*note: kinky curly knot today only works with Kinky Curly Curling Custard
('plays well' means mixes well and does not leave film or flakes.)

Of course these are MY suggestions and I still have plenty of products to review.  Try and try until you find what works for you!!!  

Be Blessed!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment