Saturday, November 17, 2012

Is grease really bad?

I have been fighting with myself lately over using grease in T's hair. Her hair is fine, but it is very thick.  The thickness causes it to dry out really quickly.  I have talked to my mom about what the best thing to use in her hair is. My thoughts always go back to my hair as a child (not as thick as T's) but my mom used grease on my curls and my hair stayed fly.  

My best friend, Keke told me about Indian Hemp grease. She told me she used it while in Iraq and how it worked wonders for her hair.  I featured Keke on my blog a while back, as she is natural now as well.  She has used the Indian Hemp grease in her hair since she has been natural as well.  You can read her feature HERE



Here is my jar of Indian Hemp Grease

The ingredients in this jar are:
Petrolatum, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rosemary Oil, Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Safflower Oil, Lanolin, Indian Hemp, Hydrolyzed Protein, Vitamin E, Provitamin B5 (panthenol) Fragrance

So these seem like pretty good ingredients. I am in love with the Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado Almond and Safflower oils.  These seem to be a staple in a many natural hair care products (and we know that there are a plethora of products available) 

Another plus is that there is no mineral oil (which I hear is bad for your hair).  However, I have also heard that petrolatum is bad for the hair as well.  

But, I have done some research and this is what I have discovered.  
  • Petrolatum is a NATURAL semi-solid hydrocarbon mixture.
  • Petrolatum is derived from petroleum, which is a fossil fuel
  • Petrolatum prevents loss of water from the hair because the molecules are larger than water
  • Petrolatum adds sheen to the hair
  • Finally petrolatum is a heat barrier when applied to the hair
Now, I have been reading how it can coat the hair and block the follicles.   Because of this fact, I would think that people would be washing their hair at an appropriate interval or when they feel buildup or an itchy scalp.  All I know is that I always had long hair as a child and my mom used grease on my strands. 
Sometimes there is nothing better than getting back to basics.  For me, I am all for using grease.  I will be adding the Indian Hemp grease back into the routine for T.  (when she is getting her hair in braids or twist outs or ponytails) 

*C's hair is a much finer texture so I can use more watery type moisturizers for her hair.*

As always, please do what works for your hair. Every head of hair is different and I am by no means an expert.  I am simply a mommy who is trying to grow her girls' hair as long and as healthy as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment