Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How Instagram is secretly ruining my life.



A little backstory
As a girl, I marched to my own drum. I didn't care about the fancy clothes that the other kids wore. I wasn't into name brand shoes.  In college, I became more aware of brands, but I still hadn't become consumed by a need to have brand named labels inside of my clothes.



Here and Now
Even now as a 34 year old woman I don't pay that much attention to brand named labels; however, I have been pulled into the lure of having a Louis Vuitton bag and a MAC computer (that I am composing this post on right this minute).

I even asked my husband recently to buy me a pair of Jordans.  He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "You don't even wear sneakers!!!"

I realized that the reason I started paying attention to these things was because of social media.  Once you log into Facebook or Instagram all you see is a barrage of photos of people and their belongings; whether it is the newest makeup item, vehicle or Louboutin shoes.

I joined Instagram in 2013, albeit, reluctantly.  I had heard of the social platform and I didn't want any parts of it. My friend Michelle told me that I needed to be on the site so that I could promote my business.  I am grateful for her encouragement to join the site because it has, in fact, helped my business. The downside is all the money that I have spent in the aftermath.


The makings of a product junkie
I have been natural since 2009. I knew what products I liked. I really didn't even know that there was a natural hair community. I just didn't want to relax my hair anymore for reasons I wrote about before. Being a frugal shopper, I was content with my Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner. Then I somehow ran across the Curly Girl method and have lost my mind. I have so many products in my home.  I don't have the expectation that the products will make my hair look like anyone else's like many people do. I just wanted to try things that other people said were good products.

My plan now is to declutter and do a host of giveaways on my channel to trim the fat from my product stash.





Makeup and more
I have spent so much money on items that are so NOT ME.  I never wore makeup in high school and very sporadically in college. Makeup was reserved for prom, interviews and an occasional Sunday service.
Once I joined IG I was inundated with numerous beauties whose immaculate face paint made me think,  "I should start wearing makeup."   So now I have a collection of makeup that I don't use and a Hayworth vanity from Pier 1 that I know I didn't need.  (But it is really pretty)

There are so many people on IG who post their OOTD (outfit of the day) and EVERYTHING in the outfit is an expensive name brand.  If you can afford it, then do you.  I'm not mad at you.  But my concern is as a people aren't there more important things we could be promoting.  I think the allure of having nice things is partly the cause for violence and crime for those that can't afford it and won't take the steps to legally obtain these items.

On the flip side, there are so many lovely ladies on IG who dress so lovely and promote a cost conscious way to shop such as Mimi Irvin.  I love her approach to budget friendly looks.

I know that ultimately it is my responsibility to be wise in my spending.  However, marketers know that even the best of us will succumb to our desire to keep up with the Joneses.  I thank God that I am conscious of how I spend and that I use coupons and bargain shop.

I guess I need to be more diligent and prayerful and make sure that I am buying what I NEED and not what I want.  I am happy with what I have and striving to be happy with even less. Less is more.  Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment